[Nhcoll-l] Curating specimens with uncertain type status?

Shoobs, Nate shoobs.1 at osu.edu
Wed Aug 2 12:03:08 EDT 2023

Doug,
Thanks for your prompt reply. This is one of the conclusions I reached, that the name is not available because a single type was not fixed at the time of publication. But others that I’ve spoken to are of the opinion that: 1. the type was designated and is simply lost in the type series, warranting a neotype designation. Or 2. that the designation of the lot constituted a syntype designation.
I think the former is plausible, but the latter cannot be because post-1999, syntypes must be fixed “explicitly” (meaning if the word syntypes wasn’t used, they ain’t syntypes.)
-Nate

--

[The Ohio State University]
Nathaniel F. Shoobs