[Nhcoll-l] Compactor/mobile storage systems for paleo collections

Carrie A. Eaton carrie at geology.wisc.edu
Wed Aug 16 10:32:40 EDT 2023

Hi Tiffany,
I just finished a big IMLS grant project renovating one of our storage rooms for both small and large paleo specimens. We have both carriages with cabinets/trays of specimens as well as a few wide-span pallet rack style carriages for our larger (mostly dino) specimens. Ours is all manual and it is a breeze to move. The weight per rail all depends on the rail style and how the load is distributed to the posts/uprights. The largest loads can be accommodated when the uprights (or cabinet frames) are situated directly over the wheels/rails – make sure you double check the work of your sales vendor or check directly with the shelving engineers (speaking from unfortunate experiences). I’d be happy to chat on the phone about it sometime and you’d be welcome to come for a visit and check it out!

h/t to Bill and Jim for letting me drop by the Field Museum to do the same….more than once. 😉

cheers,
Carrie

Carrie Eaton, Museum Curator (she/hers)
UW Geology Museum