[Nhcoll-l] Moon jellyfish in liquid

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Thu Aug 17 08:37:25 EDT 2023

We have a number of jellyfish in 70-80% ethanol that float nicely and have retained retain their shape. It seems to depend on the species, but Nettles (Chrysaora) and Cannonball Jellyfish (Stomolophus) at least are OK. If the specimens float or sink a bit too much, you can adjust the specific gravity of the fluid to some extent by adding water or alcohol until they behave.

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
prc44 at drexel.edu<mailto:prc44 at drexel.edu> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170