[Nhcoll-l] Moon jellyfish in liquid

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 17 09:35:53 EDT 2023

Hi Joosep,

To keep jellies transparent / translucent, you need to keep them in neutral pH 5% formalin (2% formaldehyde).  This fluid is less hazardous than the full fixation strength 10% and has the advantage of keeping the specimens as natural-looking  as possible.  Alcoholic preservative swill render them opaque and can cause tissue shrivelling due to osmotic pressure changes.  If you dilute alcohol in situ with the specimen present then the alcohol will generate tiny air bubbles that will find their way into the specimen and cause the tentacles to curve upwards!  This will also apply if you add any other binary azeotrope fluid such as glycerine and the specimen will slowly adapt to the changed specific gravity and will start to sink again over time.
If you wish the specimens to hang in the centre of the fluid, I have used nylon monofilament with a small disc of transparent acetate plastic sewn through the centre of the umbrella from the ventral side and then attached to a small plain glass float (like you might hang from a Christmas tree).

I do have pics of these but you would need to contact me off list.

With all good wishes, Simon

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian.

www.natural-history-conservation.com