[Nhcoll-l] Very slow small leak of formalin from acrylic container

Dr Jonathan Kemp j at jk-conservation.com
Tue Dec 5 22:03:51 EST 2023

Dear All

We have a loaned specimen in a smallish bespoke made rectangular acrylic
container full of formalin. The box has a very slow and tiny leak from
one end joint (before my time so I'm not sure how its been made).

In the past acrylic resin (Acryloid B72) has been used to fix it but
this never quite works - is there a better way to fix the leak while
retaining all the contents (ie. not decanting the formalin & specimen)?

btw. there is a small air gap (the formalin fills about 95% of the box)
so it would be possible to turn the box so it dried out from the end
joint before using anything....

best wishes and thanks in advance

Jonathan