[Nhcoll-l] Inquiry about installing Germicidal Lighting device (405nm) in museum space

William Shepherd w.shepherd at swiftcurrent.ca
Wed Feb 1 12:59:44 EST 2023

Hello Laura,

                The use of 405 nm wavelengths as a virucide is new to me, but it's outside my knowledge base. However, these bulbs are within the visible light spectrum so I believe your biggest concern will be the overall light levels. Being that this is a classroom I'm guessing items are in there for short periods of time and are not super significant/delicate.

                CCI (https://www.canada.ca/en/conservation-institute/services/agents-deterioration/light.html) has some information, but you'll need to determine light levels for your specific usage. Light damage is cumulative so even if the classroom has higher levels than recommended, as long as they are stored in dark or low light levels the long-term damage may even out. Ultimately, you have to determine how long you want the items to last and what their expected lifespan is.

William Shepherd (he/him/his)
Collections Officer
Swift Current Museum
44 Robert Street West
Swift Current, Saskatchewan, S9H 4M9
Phone: 306-778-4815

In the spirit of respect and reconciliation, we acknowledge that we are on Treaty 4 territory, the ancestral land of the Cree, Anishinabek, Dakota, Nakota, and Lakota Nations and the homelands of the Métis people.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D93633.EB280200]

Collection: https://saskcollections.org/swiftcurrent/
Archives: https://memorysask.ca/swift-current-museum