[Nhcoll-l] slide storage questions

Haff, Tonya (NCMI, Crace) Tonya.Haff at csiro.au
Mon Feb 13 19:22:05 EST 2023

Hello all,

I wonder if any of you have experience with archival microscope slide storage - I have a few long-term slide storage questions. We have a lot of histological and other microscope slides that need to be rehoused - for some preferably in boxes and others preferably in slide cabinets.

First, I would love to know people's thoughts on whether or not there a problem with storing slides in slide boxes long-term? I'm talking about the type where the slides are on their edge, not laying flat.  If it is not a problem, is it acceptable to use polystyrene boxes in this case? They seem to be the only ones I can (easily) find online, but I know that polystyrene is not an archival material. I also have slides that are stored flat in boxes, but they too need to be rehoused because of a problem with mould growing in the cardboard boxes they're in.

This leads me to also ask if any of you have good references or suggestions for the best way to transfer slides from boxes into slide cabinets? Or more to the point, what is the best way to manage the data about each slide, which is often written on a piece of paper or cardboard in the slide box itself? I see this as a both risky and time consuming part of rehousing the slides.

Finally, we have slides of different sizes - a standard side and an extra wide size. Do any of you have thoughts on if there is an ideal way (or an ideal box) to house such slides?

Your thoughts and advise would be, as usual, very welcome.

Cheers,

Tonya

Dr. Tonya M. Haff
Collection Manager