[Nhcoll-l] slide storage questions

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 14 04:31:59 EST 2023

Hi Tonya,

Part of my career at the NHM in London was as a(n) histologist and micro-anatomist.  In this role I had to label my slides as well, giving details of the specimen and of the stain and mountant!  For those slides the use a natural mountant like Canada Balsam or Euparal, the slides were always kept flat and even after 20 years, the cover slips can still very slowly creep if stored on their sides!  Man-made mountants will set quite quickly and may be stored on their sides quite safely but they have the problem of not being archival and can bleach away the dyes or even dissolve away the specimen. However, if yours are old and have stood the test of time, then side storage shouldn’t be an issue.
I still have my old college histology slides from c. 1970 and they’re still in good condition.
Do have a look at Birger’s opus on the subject as this is explained.

With all good wishes, Simon

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,

www.natural-history-conservation.com