[Nhcoll-l] Putty For Sealing Jars

Lazo-Wasem, Eric eric.lazo-wasem at yale.edu
Wed Jan 11 10:43:57 EST 2023

Hi,

As typical, I do not often fall into the "best practices" category, but do have 40 years' experience with fluid jars and this sort of situation.

I agree that with ground glass non-setting clear grease works well.  However, I have also used pure silicone to seal flat lids onto flat ground jars (can be flattened manually as a touch up with wet/dry sandpaper and a bit of effort) for exhibits; even with warm lights there is no evaporative loss of fluid.  To remove the lid after many years, a razor blade will get most of the silicone off, and final cleaning can be done with mineral oil followed by soap and water.  I have jars sealed back in 2004 for an exhibit that are still completely intact; one contains a 1 m section of giant squid gladius and this demonstrates the technique can be applied to large, as well as small, jars.

Eric LW