[Nhcoll-l] Clear styrene in collections

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 13:19:59 EST 2023

Paul,
Polystyrene will yellow or turn translucent, craze, and warp (because it
softens) in the presence of benzene rings, so if the boxes are exposed to
naphthalene, PDB, or any number of cleaning products that is likely to
happen. From your description it sounds like the boxes from private
collections were exposed to benzene rings.

The only drawback I have heard mentioned with clear, rigid polystyrene is
that when the surface is scratched it can offgas unwanted byproducts, but I
do not have a reference for this and have not personally seen any damage
from it. Perhaps one of the conservators on the list can offer better
information.

--John

John E. Simmons
Writer and Museum Consultant
Museologica
*and*
Associate Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
*and*
Investigador Asociado, Departamento de Ornitologia
Museo de Historia Natural, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima