[Nhcoll-l] Fluid preservation: what is Triple Fix?

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 20 12:07:16 EST 2023

Thanks John and yes, FAA would be another and usually associated with plants or as a cytological fixative like Carnoy’s fluid.   The compositional fixatives are endless and there was a phase of many anatomists, histologists and other preparators inventing their own formulae from the late 19th into the 1920s, perhaps to be helpful but (also likely) to get ’their names in lights’!
FAA stinks if you get near it (yuk!) but is a clear and uncoloured fluid.

What sort of specimen is it - zoo, bot, histology, cytology…?

With all good wishes, Simon

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,

www.natural-history-conservation.com