[Nhcoll-l] Standard practices for gifting

Meier, Gretchen meierga at miamioh.edu
Thu Jan 26 09:11:55 EST 2023

Hello,

I am checking in with the community to see what are standard practices for
gifting Herbarium specimens.  I recently became curator of a large
collection (~650,000 spec) and materials for gifting have accumulate for at
least a decade (or 7 decades) and I'm wondering how useful some of these
gifts might be.  We have a lot of very old (1910 or so) and common North
American specimens that are not in very good shape.  Are these valuable to
Herbaria possibly for genetic research?  We also have some very beautiful
mounted specimens from a teaching collection (mounted 8 1/2  x 11" on
non-acid free paper) that were designated to be gifted but I'm not sure if
they should be.

Thanks for everyone time

Gretchen

--
*Gretchen Meier, Curator*
*Willard Sherman Turrell Herbarium*

*“Naturam expellas furca, tamen usque recurretet mala perrumpet furtim
fastidia victrix."  ~Horace*
"(Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back,
Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn.)”