[Nhcoll-l] Safe storage of fluid specimens

Amanda Callaghan a.callaghan at reading.ac.uk
Sun Jan 29 10:12:16 EST 2023

Hello
I'm looking for some advice on how to store fluid collections that are mostly either 70% alcohol or 5% formalin. We are a small museum at the University of Reading, UK, with around 2,000 zoological specimens in fluid (in sealed containers). We are being forced to move into a new facility which was arranged over 18 months ago. However suddenly we have been told that SDEAR (UK) regulations mean that we must have an 11m flue since we are adjacent to a tall building. This will preclude our using the agreed site. We feel that this is excessive and are looking to experts to give us their opinion.  I’d appreciate any expert opinions.
It will be a store room in a larger building with specimens on shelving. People will only be in there if they need to access specimens to take for teaching or check on their status. We feel that good ventilation and mask wearing for protection against formaldehyde fumes should be sufficient. Thank you.
Please respond on my email address a.callaghan at reading.ac.uk
Best wishes
Amanda

Amanda Callaghan, PhD, SFHEA

Professor of Invertebrate Zoology

Curator of the Cole Museum of Zoology

School Director of Recruitment and Admissions

Health and Life Sciences Building

School of Biological Sciences

University of Reading

Whiteknights