[Nhcoll-l] Information on polystyrene offgassing

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Mon Jan 30 10:20:14 EST 2023

Folks,

Following lots of helpful advice from the list, I'm in search of any published report(s) on offgassing and/or outgassing in the polystyrene used to make clear plastic boxes by firms such as Althor. R. S. Williams's summary of plastics in Elkin & Norris (Preventive Conservation: Collection Storage) does not address this, but I have heard informally that polystyrene "offgasses peroxides and plasticizers". If you know of any source for this, please pass it on to me and the list!

Thanks,

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
prc44 at drexel.edu<mailto:prc44 at drexel.edu> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170