[Nhcoll-l] Chrysler Herbarium - Mycological Collection Faced Water Damage from Pipe Burst

Robert Waller rw at protectheritage.com
Fri Jun 2 15:04:36 EDT 2023

Hi Megan,
Sorry to hear about this emergency situation you need to deal with.
You may be right to be concerned about the possibility of RH in a cabinet high enough to cause a mold problem, especially if they are well gasketed steel cabinets. They are good at keeping unwanted moisture out but could also keep unwanted moisture in. It should be easy to put simple hygrometers in cabinets to ensure they are not trapping moisture and leading to high RH.

I suggest you contact the New Jersey Cultural Alliance for Response (NJCAR) http://njculturalalliance.wix.com/njcar for help, including some extra fans, hygrometers, and other equipment you could use.
Rob

Robert Waller, Ph.D., CAPC, FIIC
President and Senior Risk Analyst
Protect Heritage Corp.
622 Simoneau Way
Ottawa  ON  K4A 1P4
rw at protectheritage.com<mailto:rw at protectheritage.com>
phone: 613-883-2707 (Canada)
Research Associate, Canadian Museum of Nature
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Queen's University