[Nhcoll-l] Best packing material for moving of wet collection jars

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 10:16:16 EDT 2023

I agree with Rob about both the vermiculite and the adequacy of paper for
padding. Many years ago, we moved two collections of fluid preserved
specimens in glass jars from Miami, using newspaper to pad the jars in
cardboard boxes, and drove them to Kansas. No broken jars in either move.
These collections were both unloaded into a climate-controlled museum
storage area, which is critical.

If you have the time, you should put a datalogger or two into the proposed
temporary storage area and check what happens to the temperature on a 24-hr
basis.

--John

John E. Simmons
Writer and Museum Consultant
Museologica
*and*
Associate Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
*and*
Investigador Asociado, Departamento de Ornitologia
Museo de Historia Natural, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima