[Nhcoll-l] Bison hide display techniques

Dee Stubbs-Lee Dee.Stubbs-Lee at nbm-mnb.ca
Fri Jun 23 12:27:31 EDT 2023

Hi Miranda and all,

I am aware of an institution that had to battle a major clothes moth infestation in its collections storage. The source of the infestation ("ground zero" as we say) was eventually determined to be a bison hide. The thick fur gives plenty of opportunity for harbourage and feeding to go unnoticed. It's a good idea to be diligent about your IPM and keep that in mind when making decisions about display as well. I might be inclined to suggest an exhibit case for easier dust control and IPM monitoring. Good luck!

Dee

Dee A. Stubbs-Lee, MA, FIIC, CAPC
Conservator / Restauratrice
New Brunswick Museum