[Nhcoll-l] EN_Scientists support Green Deal and reject attack on SUR and NRL

Jutta Buschbom jutta.buschbom at statistical-genetics.de
Thu Jun 29 07:17:04 EDT 2023

Dear Colleagues,

Please see the below call that was distributed via BGE's Slack channel.

Best regards,

Jutta Buschbom

________

Sarah Bourlat

Dear all, for your attention information about the controversy around
the planned EU renaturation law.

Until June 30 there is the possibility to sign the open letter of
already more than 4000 scientists in support of the EU Green Deal and
the Renaturation Law. Only 20 out of 27 Environmental Ministries
supported the law at the Council, and the Parliament’s ENVI Committee
vote today, with a 44:44 tie vote, regretfully means that the committee
recommends the Parliament to reject the NRL.

The EU’s Green Deal is currently being under attack, and much of the
arguments supporting it are based on misinformation. Accordingly, while
as citizens and humans we may be deeply concerned about the bad spirit
of the discussions, as scientists, we do have the mandate to warn that
the science aligns with public’s interests regarding the urgent need of
these proposals.

Please join as a signatory calling policymakers to continue the
legislative procedure for the NRL and SUR.

And please, distribute the call for signatories among your colleagues to
allow every scientist, who shares these concerns, to join and sign as
well. We have reached > 4000 signatures – now let’s please ensure we
pass 5000.

If you wish to use the letter to communicate and to consult
policymakers, you may find our letter now in 13 languages here:
https://conbio.org/policy/europe-section-initiatives-1/europe-section-policy-news

The call for signatories will remain open until 30.6.2023.
Please sign here -
https://umfrage.uni-leipzig.de/index.php/837218?lang=en
and spread further to your colleagues, across disciplines.

--

Statistical Genetics

Dr. Jutta Buschbom
Gerhart-Hauptmann-Strasse 35