[Nhcoll-l] Imports to the UK Effective 1 March 2023: Important changes for specimen transfers to Europe, including Schengen Countries Norway, Switzerland and Northern Ireland

Dirk Neumann d.neumann at leibniz-lib.de
Thu Mar 2 02:49:18 EST 2023

Dear NHColl Community,

I received an request from a colleague in the US regarding applicability of EU amendments for imports to the UK that may be worth sharing with the comunity.

In short:

All Natural History Collections outside the EU and UK which do not have and are not eligible for an EORI number

  *   need to designate a Customs Broker and should
  *   include a customs declaration (instead of a commercial invoice that implies you are shipping manufactured goods that may enter the trade market). Carefully check to tick the respective box when your prepare your shipment for your postal carrier.
  *   should always request and include the EORI-number of the receiving museum (in the UK).

Here<https://www.gov.uk/import-customs-declaration> is a step-by-step guide for imports to the UK - please note that the examples may only cover traded goods or personal belonging, and may not have the best fit for museum objects sent as international loans abroad (see original NHColl post below for further details).
Here<https://www.gov.uk/eori> the UK government provides guidance who needs an EORI

In more detail:
Not knowing the latest outcomes and results of the agreement of the British Government and the EU from earlier this week, it is worth noting that most of the UK laws still are closely aligned with EU law. In cases I know personally, the UK Government only replaced "European Union" with "United Kingdom" when they had to transform thousands of EU laws into "new post-Brexit UK law". In the light of the massive economic damage and crisis the Brexit has caused, I would assume that the UK as a vital interest to stay as close to EU legislation as possible. Specifically customs wise, because their currently bottleneck is Dover, were former air fields were converted in gigantic parking lots for the lorries queueing to pass Dove, but also because the special status of Northern Ireland and the fact that the routing from UK mainland via Belfast and Dublin to the EU (without charging of taxes) is vital for the British Economy.

Vice versa, this means that for any shipments to the UK that potentially are routed via Ireland and Northern Ireland, it would be better to include an EORI.

Moreover, even within the EU, we found that because of Spanish animal health regulations the EORI number is also required for EU shipments from Germany to Spain; the situation is similar for shipments from Germany to Norway (= non-EU country but within the Single Market), where stating of the EORI numbers of both, shipper and consignee, is mandatory in the web-interface of FedEx or DHL Express.

Thus, instead of handling and managing multiple sets of shipping documents you want to add to parcels and shipments - which is very time consuming and needs a lot of attention for slightly divergent fine print - we decided to have one shipping doc that fits all purposes. I.e.,at the LIB, we use our international template also for EU shipments, if we can expect that these are transported via air, for example shipments from Germany to Spain.

Having the EORI number in place doesn't hurt, but helps authorities involved to positively identify your institution unambiguously. Your institutional CITES registration number is also such an positive identifier, which also appears on all our shipping docs we issue.

With best wishes
Dirk