[Nhcoll-l] Procedures for Transferring Specimens from Ethanol to Dry Storage

Tom Schiøtte tschioette at snm.ku.dk
Mon Mar 20 06:02:02 EDT 2023

Hi Matthew,

I don’t know if you ever got an answer to the question below. I would say that much depends on whether you talk of large or small shells. Ideally, if you have shells that are clean of soft parts and are only immersed in clean alcohol diluted with demineralized or distilled water you could dry them directly. The problem is of course the possibility of additives in the alcohol that you need to get rid of. If we are mainly talking about formalin and/or sea salt (the latter relevant for marine mollusks only of course), small shells of 1 cm or less need just a couple of ½-1 hour dips in demineralized water before dryíng.

The larger and especially the more porous they are, the more you will need to rinse them. It is a simple question of sound judgment, and I cannot supply a table or similar. A larger shell overgrown with bryozoans and worm tubes and perhaps infested with boring Porifera may require a couple of days with regular changes of water, and you may even have to reconsider if it should be dried at all. In general, however, drying is a good idea, because alcohol get acidic over time, taking up CO2 from the air.

Cheers

Tom

Tom Schiøtte

Collection manager, Echinodermata & Mollusca
Natural History Museum of Denmark (Zoology)
Universitetsparken 15
DK 2100 Copenhagen OE

+45 35 32 10 48
TSchioette at snm.ku.dk<mailto:TSchioette at snm.ku.dk>