[Nhcoll-l] Heavy trays in Viking Cabinets for mammal and bird collections?

Cassidy, Kelly Michela cassidyk at wsu.edu
Tue May 2 11:46:45 EDT 2023

We ran into a similar problem when we bought a bunch of new cases with metal drawers about 10 years ago. (From Delta Design, I think.) All of our drawers before that had been wood. I love the metal drawers. They don't absorb oil or odor and don't produce splinters. Fur and feathers don't catch on the slick painted metal. However, they are HEAVY!!! I don't know if I've ever weighed them. 15 lbs?  20 lbs? Heavy enough to do some damage if they fall on someone's head. They are also slicker and slide much more easily than a wooden drawer. An asset, unless you're pulling one out that's higher than your head and you misjudge the amount of force needed.

We stack our cases two high. To avoid bad accidents, we have a "rule". The upper cases can have metal drawers up to about a typical person's shoulder height. Above that, they have to be wood. We have a wide variety of wooden drawers acquired over the past century to accommodate a variety of slightly different cases. Some of the wooden drawers would work in the newest cases, some wouldn't. It took some sifting and shifting of drawers to find enough wooden drawers to fit all the new metal cases for the shelves above shoulder height without buying new wooden drawers.

For drawers with unusually heavy loads, like those packed with glass vials holding mouse skulls, we use the metal drawers in a lower case, even if it puts some drawers out of our usual sorting order.

If I were doing it again, I'd order 75-80% metal drawers, and about 20-25% wooden drawers. I'd also be absolutely certain that the wooden drawers would fit before making a big purchase, since you'll probably need to go through a different vendor for the wooden drawers.

Dr. Kelly M. Cassidy, Curator, Conner Museum
School of Biological Sciences
Box 644236
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-4236