[Nhcoll-l] software to automate database entries into tags

Alison H. Harrington alisonhh at umich.edu
Thu May 11 15:52:41 EDT 2023

Hi Catherine,

To second Tom, I had the same question and reached out to some other
herbarium colleagues. The overwhelming answer I got was also to use the
MailMerge function in Microsoft. There are some decent tutorials on it and
it is pretty flexible in terms of formatting. We use Specify as the
database of record and although it has a label generation function, that
function seems to have broken before I started my position and I've never
used it.

Mailmerge has a couple of minor quirks but it is a broadly used tool so
there are many answered questions online.

best,
Alison

--
*Alison H. Harrington, PhD*
*Research Collections Manager | Fungi, Lichens, Bryophytes*