[Nhcoll-l] Identifying and removing sealant/varnish from fragile bone fragments

Dakota Rowsey drowsey at asu.edu
Thu May 25 13:39:00 EDT 2023

Hello,

I am looking to safely remove varnish from an approximately 1 sq cm bone
fragment without compromising the integrity of the bone itself. The
fragment was collected in the 60s and has likely been unused since that
time, so I suspect the varnish/sealant was applied shortly after the
fragment was collected. I'm most interested in just dissolving the sealant
but if doing so without compromising the bone requires identifying what
kind of sealant was used, tips on identifying that would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dakota

--
*Dakota M. Rowsey, Ph.D.* (he/his)
Vertebrate Collections Manager

*I acknowledge that I reside and work on the ancestral territories of the
Akimel O'odham (Pima) and Piipaash (Maricopa) Indian Communities and am
grateful for their care of the Salt River Valley that enables me to live
and work here.*