[Nhcoll-l] Bird eggs in ethanol

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Thu May 25 21:40:34 EDT 2023

Belinda,
Yes, you can preserve the eggs in ethanol as you have described. I have
preserved bird eggs as well as reptile eggs this way and it works fine.

My recommendation is to thaw the eggs in 70% ethanol so that preservation
can begin as soon as the tissue is unfrozen, as this prevent bacterial
growth. As the eggs thaw, inject 70% ethanol into the eggs as you describe,
taking care not to over-fill them. After 24 hr, you should check the
concentration of the alcohol in case the fluid from the eggs dilutes it.

THe only potential negative effect the ethanol might have on the shell as
it is possible it could dissolve some of the pigments, so take color photos
of the eggs with a color standard in the frame as a reference.

--John

John E. Simmons
Writer and Museum Consultant
Museologica
*and*
Associate Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
*and*
Investigador Asociado, Departamento de Ornitologia
Museo de Historia Natural, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima