[Nhcoll-l] Large specimen jars need opening - help!

Dirk Neumann d.neumann at leibniz-lib.de
Wed Nov 15 10:19:05 EST 2023

Hi Vanessa,
Stölzle Oberglas (but they no longer have jars on stock, only occasionally), or you can contact Gassner Glastechnik in Munich (link<https://gassner-glastechnik.de/kontakt/>); they can customise flanged borosilicate jars which you can easily (and hermitically) seal with a good, silicone-free ground-stopper grease like Alsirol (link<https://www.fishersci.de/shop/products/joint-grease-1/10130201>)

Neubert (link<https://www.neubert-glas.de/laborglas/onlineshop/katalog.php?KATfrom=suche&SearchText=pr%E4parat&struc=1_995727484085_1030342896125_1005301727684_1515949502601&kat=1023362157218&PHPSESSID=1effb50f3b77f3e7035b5480d4f6ce4b>) sells DWK Schott jars, but they are usually not too large, and we need a re-seller as museums cannot order directly at DWK (link<https://www.dwk.com/duran-museum-jar-with-ground-glass-plate>)

It might also help if you place the jars into warmer working space rooms for a while, or, as Paul mentioned, put the jar into a shower and try with warm water. Watch any external labels and protect them against soaking.

 Hope this helps
Dirk