[Nhcoll-l] Large specimen jars need opening - help!

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Wed Nov 15 10:34:13 EST 2023

Just to add two points: I'm not sure that heating the fluid to increase internal pressure is a good idea, as - apart from possibly upsetting the chemistry of the specimen - the jar might crack at its thinnest point before the lid lifts.
Also, the penetrating power of trisodium phosphate is extraordinary. A teaspoon of powder (e. g. Alconox) in a liter of water is a very effective detergent, and just soaking a jar with a stuck lid in that might well do the trick.

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
prc44 at drexel.edu<mailto:prc44 at drexel.edu> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170