[Nhcoll-l] Fw: Graduate studies and Curator/collections manager qualification

Furth, David FURTHD at si.edu
Thu Nov 16 15:55:39 EST 2023

________________________________
From: Furth, David <FURTHD at si.edu>
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2023 1:50 PM
To: Pellegrini, Rodrigo [DOS] <Rodrigo.Pellegrini at sos.nj.gov>; Benjamin Ehrman <benjaminaehrman at gmail.com>; nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu <nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu>
Subject: Re: Graduate studies and Curator/collections manager qualification

Nice discussion.  I agree with much of what has been said, including Rodrigo.

I started in collections management of entomological collections about 50 years ago during my graduate degree programs.  Since then collections management has morphed into a true profession.  Previously people just did what they learned along the way from their prof3ssors and others on the job, but that did not really incorporate best practices.

Yes, now there are some really good museum studies programs and anyone considering working in the museum world should take these as they are able.  However, while such programs cover the generalities of museums and museum management, they do not deal with discipline-specific management, which are quite different among disciplines.  Having some specific training, e.g., graduate degrees, and research experience helps this a lot.  Afterall, in most cases, one is managing research collections and having knowledge specific to that field is very important.

Anecdotally, I used to manage the entomological collections at the Museum of Comparative Zoology (Harvard University) and my boss was Prof. Edward O. Wilson.  One day Ed and I were talking in his office and he said, "They call me the Curator, but you are really the Curator".  He recognized that managing collections was truly a profession and that the real work in the collections was being done by collections managers.

Beginning in about 2014 for entomology we have been teaching workshops in best practices of entomological collections management that is subsidized by the U.S. National Science Foundation (mostly for student stipends).  The most recently have 25 in-person and 25 virtual attendees.  We have trained almost 200 potential collections managers from many countries; some participants already had many years in the field.  There is no other place to learn entomology collections management.  Possibly other disciplines should consider similar approaches.

David G. Furth, Ph.D.
Collections Manager Emeritus
Department of Entomology
National Museum of Natural History