[Nhcoll-l] Longevity / qualities of Brother/Dymo label tapes?

Shoobs, Nate shoobs.1 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 2 11:56:40 EDT 2023

Hi all,
Question for the community: does anyone know whether Dymo/Brother tape labelers that use LetraTag or TZe tapes are ok for any sort of long term storage?
I had previously assumed the printing technology they use (a type of thermal transfer, like receipt printing) ruled them out for any sort of museum labeling. But there are some p-touch labels on boxes in our backlog collection that have been in place for over 15 years with no visible fading. Additionally, some materials I store at -80 have been labeled with a p-touch and have held up for over 2 years.
I’d assume the adhesive is probably the first thing that would fail. But does anyone know if the lettering itself is good long term?
Best,
Nate

-
Nathaniel F. Shoobs, Curator of Mollusks
College of Arts & Sciences Dept. of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology, The Ohio State University
Museum of Biological Diversity
1315 Kinnear Rd, Columbus, OH 43212
614-688-1342 (Office)
mbd.osu.edu<http://mbd.osu.edu/>