[Nhcoll-l] Best tissues to take for mammal specimens

Jonathan Dunnum jldunnum at unm.edu
Tue Oct 17 11:47:12 EDT 2023

Hi All,
Cody beat me to it. I would suggest that as we move forward and grow collections into resources available to a much wider range of users (e.g., pathobiology, global health) that we as a community are not maximizing the breadth of sampling and utility of our specimens. The gold standard is a true "holistic specimen". Below is an example of what we took on a recent trip.
Sample Collection - Panama Picante Project

part
preservative
container
storage
Heart, lung
none
cryovial
Liquid nitrogen
Lung (subsample for screening in Japan)
RNALater
cryovial
Ambient for a day then
liquid nitrogen or -80C
Whole lung (fixed for lung modeling)
formalin
Scintillation vial
Ambient
Kidney, spleen
none
cryovial

Liquid nitrogen
Liver
none
cryovial

Liquid nitrogen
Tissue subsamples for Gorgas
none
cryovial

Liquid nitrogen
Large intestine w/feces
none
cryovial

Liquid nitrogen
Blood (dry)
Nubuto
envelope
Ambient to -20C
Blood (smear)
Methanol
slide
Ambient to -20C
Oral swab (viral)
DNA/RNA shield
cryovial
Liquid nitrogen
Anal swab (viral)
DNA/RNA shield
cryovial
Liquid nitrogen
Wing swab (fungal)
none
cryovial
Ambient to -20C
Oral swab (fungal)
none
cryovial
Ambient to -20C
Anal swab (fungal)
none
cryovial
Ambient to -20C
Ectoparasites
95% EtOH
Cryovial or
scintillation vial
Ambient to -20C
Endoparasites
70% EtOH
scintillation vial
Ambient to -20C
Embryos (small)
none
cryovial
Liquid nitrogen
Embryos (large)
95% EtOH
20mL scintillation vial
Ambient to -20C

Jonathan L. Dunnum Ph.D. (he, him, his)
Senior Collection Manager
Division of Mammals, Museum of Southwestern Biology
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131
(505) 277-9262
Fax (505) 277-1351

Chair, Systematic Collections Committee, American Society of Mammalogists
Latin American Fellowship Committee, ASM

MSB Mammals website: http://www.msb.unm.edu/mammals/index.html
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MSBDivisionofMammals

Shipping Address:
Museum of Southwestern Biology