[Nhcoll-l] ZD421 printer

Rob Robins rhrobins at flmnh.ufl.edu
Thu Sep 28 11:23:18 EDT 2023

The Florida Museum Herpetology and Ichthyology collections purchased, and are using, the Zebra ZT411 to good effect for thermal transfer, fluid preservative specimen labels.

There does not seem to be much visible difference in label resolution between the 300dpi and 600dpi options except that the 600dpi, for reasons I do not know, does not come equipped with a cutter and perhaps, cannot come so equipped.

Fishes bought the 600 dpi - I wish we had the cutter.

Lastly, setup, done by our office of museum technology, was apparently easier than configuring a datamax (which as many know, involves a lot of appeals to a higher power).

Tweaking the settings seems to be likewise. (Like adjusting the print spacing so one can use scissor in place of a cutter. Womp womp).

To the extent this does or does not speak to the quality of Zebra printers in general, and the model you are considering, there you have it.

(And Zebra printers are of course used widely in commerce/shipping applications).

Best wishes,

Rob

Robert H. Robins
Collection Manager
Division of Ichthyology
[FLMNH Fishes logo email small]
Florida Museum
1659 Museum Rd.
Gainesville, FL 32611-7800
Office: (352) 273-1957
rhrobins at flmnh.ufl.edu<mailto:rhrobins at flmnh.ufl.edu>

The UF Fish Collection is moving:
https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/fish/

Search the Collection:
http://specifyportal.flmnh.ufl.edu/fishes/

Search samples suitable for dna analysis:
https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/grr/holdings/