[Nhcoll-l] Importing invertebrate specimens into the U.S.

Hawkins, Rebecca K. rkhawkins at ou.edu
Thu Apr 4 11:35:22 EDT 2024

Hello all,

What are the guidelines for importing returned loans of invertebrate specimens (no CITES- or ESA-listed species) into the U.S.? I am aware that I need to submit USFWS form 3-177 through eDecs. Is there anything I need to make sure is complete before the loan is dropped off for shipment to the U.S., like certain paperwork to include with the specimens or a certain port to direct the shipment to? Do you all have tips for completing form 3-177 for invertebrate specimens? Is there anything else I need to complete for importation?

I am new to the world of international shipping, so I would appreciate any guidance you all can provide. Thank you!

Rebecca Hawkins (she/her)
Curatorial Associate
Sam Noble Museum
2401 Chautauqua Ave.