[Nhcoll-l] Digital calipers for museum use

Shoobs, Nate shoobs.1 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 11 14:49:39 EDT 2024

I use a SPI digiMax 30-440-2, which is a fiberglass digital caliper. It works really well. I have hated every other pair of fiberglass digital calipers I have ever encountered, but I’ve tested this model against a set of iGaging Absolute Origin calipers in the museum and have not found major differences in accuracy, though the iGaging model is more precise (to +-.001, if memory serves, whereas the digimax only goes +-.1).

I would recommend the iGaging Absolute Origin Calipers if you are measuring objects that are not fragile or crushable. They’re nice because you can hook them up to a computer via USB data cable for automated measurement entry. Would LOVE it if there were an accurate fiberglass caliper with a data cable.
-Nate

--
[The Ohio State University]
Nathaniel F. Shoobs