[Nhcoll-l] Minimum viable mammal specimen

Hendrickson Dean deanhend at austin.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 9 17:15:21 EST 2024

Thanks John, for mentioning our presentation/paper. With permission of SPNHC, we archived both a copy of the pdf and the recording of my presentation of it at:

Cohen, A. E., Hendrickson, D. A., & Casarez, M. J. (2022). Testing An Alternative Shelving Arrangement to Optimize Space and Task Efficiency in a Fluid Fish Collection. Presented by Hendrickson at SPNHC 2022, Edinburgh, Scotland. http://dx.doi.org/10.26153/tsw/44357

Adam (TNHC_Fish_CM at austin.utexas.edu<mailto:TNHC_Fish_CM at austin.utexas.edu>) and I are both happy to answer questions and discuss this further. We’re still both very happy with the new system, and continue hoping one day we can convert the whole collection to this shelving method. He and his crew of volunteers and students have since done more testing of aspects of the system, and implemented some related experiments, all interesting and promising.

I’ll also point out that Rob Robbins et al in the Fish Collection at University of Florida<https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/fish/> converted that collection to a similar space-efficient system that shares some of the same features as ours, and, with their move, they also were able to barcode everything to add additional power and efficiency.

Dean

[Fishes of Texas]<http://www.fishesoftexas.org/home/>Dean A. Hendrickson (pronunciation<https://namedrop.io/deanhendrickson>), Ph.D. (he/him/his)
Curator of Ichthyology, Biodiversity Center<https://biodiversity.utexas.edu/>, University of Texas<https://www.utexas.edu/>,
Texas Natural History Collections,10100 Burnet Rd., PRC176/R4000
Austin, Texas 78758 USA
+1-512-656-9504 (cel.); Orcid<https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7835-0295> / lab<https://sites.cns.utexas.edu/hendricksonlab/home> / collection<https://integrativebio.utexas.edu/biodiversity-collections/collections/ichthyology-fish> / zoom<https://utexas.zoom.us/j/7165800443>