[Nhcoll-l] Duke Petition

Polly, P. David pdpolly at indiana.edu
Fri Feb 16 13:28:16 EST 2024

I completely agree with Doug's points for practical suggestions for how to make a case to university administrators whose priorities lie elsewhere.

Another point I think is useful in regard to  bad PR is that the bad PR is permanent,  thanks to taxonomic and museum practice.  My favorite example is the Princeton Vertebrate Paleontology Collection, which includes a huge number of type specimens from the 19th and 20th centuries.  Princeton discarded their collection, which was then transferred to Yale.  The Princeton numbers are still used in order to match the numbers used in publications.  I guess it must have been 40 years ago when the transfer took place, but every year one sees social media posts from students new to the field, "Why didn't anyone tell me that the Princeton Collection is at Yale??"  And so Princeton's irresponsibility is learned over and over and over by every new generation of researchers.