[Nhcoll-l] Fluid-preserved fungi

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 21 06:58:39 EST 2024

Hi Berber.

I have worked with fluid-preserved fungal fruiting bodies for some time but on a small scale. I have always preferred Kew mixture (fixative) and Copenhagen mixture as a preservative.  This keeps the fungi firm and preserves some of the colours.  You may find some colour leaching has occurred and some fruiting bodies become rather floppy, especially more fragile specimens like Coprinellus spp. or Coprinopsis spp.
You may wish to consider using the Kew and Copehangen mix approach in the future?

With all good wishes, Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian.

www.natural-history-conservation.com