[Nhcoll-l] Collection management: trade or profession?

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Tue Feb 27 14:50:11 EST 2024

As the industrial revolution took hold, there arose between the classical "professions" (law, medicine, clergy) and the established "trades" (carpenter, blacksmith, butcher etc) a new category of "managerial professions" - accountant, estimator, process manager etc. - from which we derive modern-day positions like CEO, CFO etc.

Simultaneously there emerged a class of "technicians," whose jobs were linked to the safe use of specific technologies - mechanics, X-Ray operators, pilots, ship captains, truck and train drivers, etc. In some cases, such as ship captain, these resembled the classical professions in that you didn't get to legally captain a ship until you'd passed navigation and other maritime exams. In others, such as driving a vehicle over a certain size, you just needed a license to upgrade something (driving a car) you already knew how to do so as to legally operate a certain defined class of machines.

Finally, there arose the "creative professions," like photographer, wedding planner, chef and so on, in which you needed no qualification at all to get started and earn money.

Collection managers use various technologies, and for some - like working in labs or in the field with students - they need certification. They do not usually work under fixed contracts, nor do they perform iterative and quantifiable tasks such as moving a cargo from point A to point B. Some of their work, like photography and writing museum texts, is creative. They thus defy classification in any of the senses above, and the problem is compounded by the fact that many work for universities or non-profit museums that have no cross-disciplinary job grades and promotion mechanisms such as you find in government workplaces.

It might be possible to create some kind of "professional qualification" for CMs, but in the USA at least, unless it was nationally recognized and legally required, there would be no consequences for an institution that ignored it when hiring someone. Like Heather (and myself - MSc in Museum Leadership) you might spend a lot of time and effort to get a qualification that doesn't actually help you get the job you want.

CMs are rich in virtue, though, which is its own reward.

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology and General Invertebrates

Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia
callomon at ansp.org<mailto:callomon at ansp.org> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170