[Nhcoll-l] [EXTERN] Re: hard copy accessions/specimen register

Dirk Neumann d.neumann at leibniz-lib.de
Tue Jan 30 16:28:56 EST 2024

.. and this also applies for good field notes. Especially, when you work in remote areas. e.g. in Africa. While I always had a computer with me, I copied in the evening my handwritten locality notes and specifically tissue sample lists I prepared during the day. More then once I found myself in the situation that I could (and had to) rely on my handwritten files when accessioning the material back home in the collection.

These documents should be filed as ordinary accession files - which they are. And compared to my excel entries, I could trace and reconstruct glitches in my field lists more easily. We taught our students in the field always to rely on the pencil as your best friend.

Maybe worth adding...

With best wishes
Dirk