[Nhcoll-l] Nalgene carboy spigots

Sarah K. Huber skhuber at vims.edu
Fri Mar 1 10:27:27 EST 2024

Does anyone have any tricks for seating spigots on Nalgene carboys (15L)? I have a brand new carboy and three brand new spigots, and every single one leaks at the base of the spigot. I've followed the instructions, and tried screwing the lock nut down at varying degrees of tightness. I've had several other people try to seat the spigot. At this point I'm wondering if the carboy boss is misshapen. However, when relaying my tales of woe to colleagues, I've been told that folks routinely have issues with leaky spigots on Nalgene carboys. Is this a common problem with Nalgene brand carboys? Has anyone used spigots from different manufacturers? Plumbers tape or additional o-rings to stop leaks?

Thanks,
Sarah

Sarah K. Huber, Ph.D. (she/her)
Curatorial Associate, VIMS Nunnally Ichthyology Collection
Office 804.684.7104 | Collection 804.684.7285
skhuber at vims.edu<mailto:skhuber at vims.edu> | http://www.vims.edu/research/facilities/fishcollection/index.php
PO Box 1346 | 1370 Greate Rd., Gloucester Pt., VA 23062