[Nhcoll-l] question about polyethylene bag "tubing" for specimens

Fran Ritchie franritchie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 23:05:19 EST 2024

Hi Laura!

I agree with Andy - I've seen some NPS sites that placed their study skins
in the polyethylene tubes. They've been in controlled museum storage for
several years now and although I've never performed a specific survey, I
haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Not sure the thickness,
though.

As an aside, these were placed in bags also with the intention to protect
staff, but this is not necessary if you're wearing PPE and practicing good
hygiene. For anyone handling these collections, wear nitrile or latex
gloves and wash your hands immediately after removing gloves (after you're
done working). Vacuum work areas with HEPA vacuums. I understand why you're
needing to place them in the tubes, I just don't want folks worried that it
must be done across collections.

And now, taking this chance to plug an upcoming panel at the next meeting
of the American Institute for Conservation in May. The panel is Arsenic in
Collections and will feature case studies from institutions who are
successfully managing/working with collections that have arsenic as an
intrinsic component. Friday, May 24th at 10:30.

Best,
Fran