[Nhcoll-l] Failure of plastic lids in ethanol collections

Lance McBrayer lancemcbrayer at georgiasouthern.edu
Fri Mar 8 10:42:00 EST 2024

Greetings
I have noticed a systematic failure of plastic lids on the top shelves of
our wet collection.  The plastic is drying and cracking, or crumbling if
the lid is pressed in the middle.  Luckily I noticed this and only had 3
specimens dry out.  But, I'm learning the problem is
widespread, particularly on the top shelf.

These lids were replaced in about 2010, and since 2013 been have been kept
in a new storage facility with a consistent temp in the 60-69 degree F
range.

The facility has shock-proof LED lighting that was *supposed to* emit
little to no UV radiation.

I suspect the lighting is in fact emitting UV. The problem is much less
common on the lower shelving racks where they are 'shaded' by jars above.
I have also guessed there may be a known 'lifespan' for plastic lids. I
bought the lids from O Berk like many collections do in the USA.

 Is anyone aware of this problem? That is:
1 - What have others experienced as the lifespan of plastic lids on
specimens in 70% ethanol?
2 - Does anyone have suggestions as to how to remedy a UV light issue?
There are no windows in the facility. BUT, the safety officer INSISTED on
having 2 lights on in the room at all times in case some was in the room
and the lights were turned off. I protested, but lost. I think it is time
to revisit...?

Any advice forward is welcomed...
Thanks
lm