[Nhcoll-l] Failure of plastic lids in ethanol collections

Anderson, Gretchen AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org
Fri Mar 8 14:38:47 EST 2024

John and Rob have stated the challenge very eloquently and thoroughly.  It is most important to understand that any light (UV, Visible and IR) will cause deterioration to many organic objects, including plastic. With LED lights we can eliminate the UV and the IR.  Testing with a light meter is often the easiest way to do it.  When you test - check both the UV and the visible levels.  As already mentioned, damage because of light exposure is directly related by the length of the exposure (cumulative) and by how close the object (in this case - the lids) is to the lights. The closer the object is to the light the more intense the light is and the more damage there will be.

Good Luck!
Gretchen

-----Original Message-----
From: Nhcoll-l <nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu> On Behalf Of Simon Moore
Sent: Friday, March 8, 2024 12:19 PM
To: robert Waller <rw at protectheritage.com>
Cc: NHCOLL-new <nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu>
Subject: Re: [Nhcoll-l] Failure of plastic lids in ethanol collections

Oh yes, this is what (I suspect) prevented the Danish jar company from producing more of their otherwise very convenient-to-use jars! Some may disagree about this! These were PP lids and suffered from exactly the problems you describe.  One of their formulations however, worked very well and I still have specimens in ethanol stored successfully in the jars since the early 1990s with hardly any evaporation or plastic degradation.

Otherwise, John and Rob have covered the issue and I expect there will be others who will have their say.

With all good wishes, Simon

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian.

https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.natural-history-conservation.com&c=E,1,ryUxwOEkf0QEKiazAE5Gd_AsjIl1-vKamH3kHFtF-OhQSt1yleTVZdgTIaBXGyD1e-_ltwF6kDCcfb4-Pj4B-io9fsAnh_kbVMSHJN_xODadcZWhczA,&typo=1