[Nhcoll-l] Register: Advances in Digital Media: Virtual 2-part Series

Goodwin,Jillian jgoodwin at floridamuseum.ufl.edu
Wed Mar 13 12:10:37 EDT 2024

[cid:91738e61-977e-44b2-8e85-1c4b22ea9feb]<https://www.idigbio.org/content/advances-digital-media-virtual-showcase-series>
Please join iDigBio and experts from our community for a two-part virtual showcase<https://www.idigbio.org/content/advances-digital-media-virtual-showcase-series> highlighting advancements at the leading edge of digital media creation (2D, 3D, video, acoustic recordings, etc.) and use in the context of biodiversity collections research.

The first showcase (25 March) will focus on the media data creation. Topics will include advances in imaging techniques, equipment, software, workflows, and more.

The second (10 June) will focus on downstream use of media data. Topics of interest will include: media access, media archiving, and data standards important to improve the interoperability of data for A.I., AR/VR, and other uses.

Click Here to Register for Part One - focus on media generation<https://ufl.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_OxoxzFbJQsSHc9hSXvH_Nw>

Agenda for Advances in Digital Media Virtual Showcase: Part 1
Hosted by iDigBio and the Florida Museum of Natural History
Monday, March 25, 2024 (9:10 am - 3:40 pm ET)
9:10
Welcome
Gil Nelson (iDigBio)
9:20
Increasing the impact of vertebrate scientific collections through 3D imaging
David Blackburn (FLMNH)
9:30
COPIS: Computer Operated Photogrammetric Imaging System
Nelson Rios (YPM)
9:40
Capturing in 360°
Nicole James (FSU)
9:50
Novel 3D tools for Reconstructing Living Animals
Duncan Irschick (UMass)
10:00
Questions
Moderator: Gil Nelson
10:15
Photogrammetry of fluid natural history collections
Zach Randall (FLMNH)
10:25
Taking the art out of photogrammetry: the UMORF methods for fast, consistent, 'all-sides' models
Adam Rountrey (Michigan)
10:35
Neural Radiance Fields (NeRF) and NeRF-like approaches: Gaussian Splatting and Neuralangelo
Alex Adkinson (FSU)
10:45
Questions

11:00
Using diffusible iodine-based contrast-enhanced CT (diceCT) for high throughput imaging of the anatomy of natural history specimens in three dimensions
Jaimi Gray (FLMNH)
11:10
What comes next? Post oVert museum digitization, and the application of FAIR principles to our data
Ed Stanley (FLMNH)
11:20
Haida Replication Project
Jennifer (JJ) Hill (SI)
11:30
Specimen collection is essential to bridge modern imaging technologies with progress in evolutionary and developmental biology
Matteo Fabbri (Field)
11:40
Baby bat bytes back: digitally reconstructing embryos from histological serial section images
Jon Woodward (MCZ)
11:50
Questions/Discussion

12:10
Lunch Break

1:30
Digitizing Whale, Ichthyosaur, and Sea Cow Graveyards: How 3D Data Changed The Way I think About Research, Collections, and Diplomacy
Nick Pyenson  (SI NMNH)
1:40
NASA BioSCape: Hyperspectral Multi Scale Imagery to Understand Biodiversity and Invasive Alien Species in South Africa
Kit Lewers (CU Boulder/iDigBio)
1:50
Interpreting the Transformation of Maya Landscapes from Above
Whittaker Schroder (UF)
2:00
Questions

2:15
Utilizing AI for natural history collection media
Arthur Porto (FLMNH)
2:25
Using Virtual and Augmented Reality (VR/AR) for Public Engagement
Hyo Kang (UF)
2:40
Questions

2:55
Using Specimen Media and Machine Learning for Research and Engagement
Mike Webster (Cornell's Macaulay Library)
3:05
Leveraging the emerging opportunities for digital media capture in the documentation of biodiversity
Austin Mast (FSU)
3:20
Questions

Click Here to Register for Part Two - focus on downstream use of digital media<https://ufl.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_AlvsrHtTSxSwZVS3Q4UWog>
June 10, 2024
Hosted by iDigBio and the Yale Peabody Museum
Stay tuned for more information - the list of presentations will be published soon!

Jillian Goodwin
iDigBio Conference Manager
Florida Museum of Natural History
508-887-6043