[SoundStudies] CFP (journal articles): Journal of Sonic Studies

Lynda Paul lynda.paul at yale.edu
Mon Apr 8 20:38:20 EDT 2013

Dear all,

I thought this might be of interest.

Best,

Lynda

----- Forwarded message from ams-announce at list.bowdoin.edu -----
    Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:59:14 -0400
    From: Announcements for the AMS <ams-announce at list.bowdoin.edu>
 Subject: [AMS-announce] CFP (journal articles): Journal of Sonic Studies
      To: ams-announce at list.bowdoin.edu

Journal of Sonic Studies - Special Issue: Sound design

Deadline: August 1, 2014

Contact: noise at sonicstudies.org

    Although sound is a natural phenomenon, many sounds in our cultural
environment are designed by humans. Street signs make use of specific acoustic
signals, kitchen appliances are tweaked in such a way that they produce sounds
that users of these devices are expected to hear, car doors are supposed to
make a particular sound when they are closed, a sound that conveys solidity,
safety, and quality to the driver of that car. Often, these sounds are not
produced as a result of the mechanical and electrical processes that are
necessary for a correct functioning of the device. Instead, they are designed
and added in order to enhance the aesthetic experience of operating the device,
or to improve its ease of use.

Sonic environments, too, are often designed. Sound is used to demarcate place,
to invite people, or to exclude certain individuals. Also, sound can influence
people's mental state, to calm them, to excite them, to convince them to stay
longer and spend more. This is one of the reasons why sound design is important
in games and cinema as well. The veracity and convincing power of the virtual
environments created within these media can be greatly enhanced through a
proper design of the sounds that can be heard. In short, perhaps even more so
than visual objects, sound is capable of manipulating human subjects.

In the sixth issue of the Journal of Sonic Studies we would like to explore
these, and other, instances of sound design. We invite papers that explain
specific practices of sound design, written by sound designers themselves, as
well as essays that critically examine the use of sound in urban environments,
devices, movies, etc. We are even more interested to receive contributions that
not only deal with sound design in one way or another, but are also themselves
designed in new, surprising and perhaps even irritating ways. As it is an
e-journal, the Journal of Sonic Studies allows for many conventional and
unconventional ways to represent ideas on sound design, both in words, sounds,
and images.
Potential contributors are invited to submit completed essays by August 1, 2014.

For more information, or to submit an essay, please visit
http://www.sonicstudies.org or contact noise at sonicstudies.org

Editors of this issue: Elif Ozcan, Marcel Cobussen, Vincent Meelberg