[SoundStudies] CFP: Urban Soundscapes and Critical Citizenship

Lynda Paul lynda.paul at yale.edu
Thu Oct 3 13:13:25 EDT 2013

Dear all,

See below for a CFP for a conference in Ireland.

Best,

Lynda

Lynda Paul, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Associate in the Integrated Humanities
Yale University

Urban Soundscapes and Critical Citizenship
27th & 28th March, 2014, Limerick, Ireland

Call for papers
In this interdisciplinary conference, we explore the intersection of soundscapes
and acoustic ecology studies with urban, applied ethnomusicology's focus on
human subjects (Hemetek and Reyes 2007; Zurková 2012) and with sociological
understandings of the cultural restructuring of urban space (Fainstein and
Campbell, 2011; LeGates 2011; Bridge and Watson 2010), through an evocation of
'critical citizenship' (Nell et al, 2012).
We would particularly welcome individual papers (20 mins + 10 mins for
questions) or panel presentations (90 minutes) that address the following
questions:

-       Where is the individual located in urban (soundscape) studies?
-       How do the sounds of a city shape human experience?
-       What role does sound play in the cultural restructuring of urban space?
-       Might soundscape projects be part of urban regeneration and renewal and
if so, in what ways?
-       How can we create/capture urban soundscapes and what motivates us to do
so?
-       How might the relationship between the city and the individual be
reframed sonically?
-       What critical potentials are unleashed in applied soundscape work?
-       Are soundscapes mere reflections of acoustic and other realities, or
might they construct pathways for greater interaction between cities and their
people?
-       What are contemporary methodological challenges in representing urban
soundscapes?
-       What new technologies allow for the reimagining of applied soundscapes
production and manipulation?
-       How can we productively bring together lessons from different
disciplines in relation to urban, societal, cultural and acoustic ecologies in
order to imagine a better, lived, urban experience?

Keynote speakers will include Dr. Ursula Hemetek, University of Vienna, and Dr.
Giacomo Bottà, University of Helsinki.

Please send your individual abstract of no more than 250 words, or a panel
abstract of 350 words to LimerickSoundscapes at ul.ie

We also invite five-minute recording submissions for our dedicated listening
space at the event.  Please send your sound file, associated picture, and a
brief description to tony.langlois at mic.ul.ie

The deadline for receipt of individual and panel abstracts is Nov 14th.
Notifications will be sent by Nov 28th.

Programme committee:
Dr. Martin Power, Dept. of Sociology, University of Limerick.
Dr. Aileen Dillane, Irish World Academy of Music and Dance, University of
Limerick.
Dr. Tony Langlois, Dept. of Media, Mary Immaculate College, University of
Limerick.
Dr. Mikael Fernström, Interaction Design Centre and Department of Computer
Science and Information Systems, University of Limerick.
Dr. Eoin. Devereux, Dept. of Sociology, University of Limerick.
Dr. Colin Quigley, Irish World Academy of Music and Dance, University of
Limerick.

LimerickSoundscapes is an interdisciplinary research cluster that includes
applied, urban, and media ethnomusicologists, sociologists, acousticians, and
soundscapes composers, and is based at the University of Limerick and Mary
Immaculate College, Limerick, Ireland.

e-mail: aileen.dillane at ul.ie