[SoundStudies] Mon 10 Feb, 4:30pm - WHC B04 - Joseph Clarke

Lynda Paul lynda.paul at yale.edu
Mon Feb 3 15:49:06 EST 2014

The Yale Sound Studies Colloquium will be meeting this semester on Monday,
February 10th, Monday, March 3rd, and Monday, April 21st, at 4:30pm in the
Whitney Humanities Center, room B04.

Please join us next Monday, February 10, for our first meeting of the year. We
will feature Joseph Clarke, doctoral candidate in architecture and co-convener
of our group, who will present the following talk:

Reverberation: An Architectural History

Can a spatial effect whose perceptual character results from an
inherent limitation of the human sensorium be subjected to critical
study? Reverberation is the phenomenon of sonic "blurring" which
occurs when sound waves bounce off a distant object but return to the
listener so quickly that they cannot be identified as a discrete echo.
Its scientific nature was elaborated by German architects in the early
nineteenth century: after public discontent with the aural environment
of Berlin's National Theater (1802) cast doubt on an earlier
acoustical paradigm, designers sought new ways to calibrate
performance halls for the auditory desires of an emerging bourgeois
culture. Historical links between reverberant architecture and
Romantic immersive environments such as tableaux vivants and panoramas
suggest that the technical development of this acoustic effect was
linked with the emergence of a new kind of subjecthood.

The Sound Studies Colloquium is a Whitney Humanities Center Working Group. All
are welcome to attend. To subscribe to or unsubscribe from our email list,
please visit http://mailman.yale.edu/mailman/listinfo/soundstudies or write to
joseph.clarke at yale.edu or lynda.paul at yale.edu.

Kind regards,

Lynda Paul, Postdoctoral Associate in the Integrated Humanities
Joseph Clarke, Doctoral Candidate in Architecture