[SoundStudies] Mon, 3 March, 4:30pm - Joeri Bruyninckx on Bird Song - WHC B04

Joseph Clarke joseph.clarke at yale.edu
Wed Feb 26 10:09:18 EST 2014

The Yale Sound Studies Colloquium invites you to join us this coming *Monday,
March 3* at *4:30pm* in the Whitney Humanities Center, Room B04. We will
feature *Joeri Bruyninckx*, post-doctoral researcher at Maastricht
University and visiting scholar at MIT's Science, Technology & Society
program, who will present the following talk:

*Scientific Scores: Sound Recording and Trained Listening in Bird Song
Biology*

During the twentieth-century, bird vocalizations have become a key site for
studying biological mechanisms of evolution, behavior and perception.
Ornithologists recording and analyzing bird songs in the field or
laboratory have long relied on their ears to do so. In this talk, I examine
the organization and status of (mediated) listening as a professional
expertise and an authoritative way of gaining scientific knowledge.

I trace how both amateur ornithologists and professional biologists between
1910 and 1960 have repeatedly sought to reconfigure musical notation and
trained listening into legitimate techniques for studying bird song.
Exploring the circumstances under which they appropriated musical notation
and the graphic innovations they proposed, I show how scientific sound
recordings took shape between efforts of standardization on the one hand,
and the need to accommodate the diverse interests, competencies and local
interpretations of their users on the other.

Kind regards,
Joseph Clarke
PhD Candidate, Architecture