[SoundStudies] 1 More Sound Studies CFP (European Sound Studies Association)

Lynda Paul lynda.paul at yale.edu
Tue Jan 7 12:36:58 EST 2014

Dear all,

I missed one more sound studies CFP! See below.

Best,

Lynda

CFP

Sound Studies: Mapping the Field

2nd European Sound Studies Association (ESSA) Conference

Copenhagen, June 27-29, 2014

In 2005, radio scholar Michele Hilmes raised the question whether there was a
field called Sound Culture Studies? Her answer was a cautious ?yes, there is
a field?. We agree, even though it has become increasingly difficult, even
for an avid reader, to have a genuine feeling of a single field of sound
studies. We see developments that call for institutional change within the
academy. And outside academia we witness a growing interest for sound
artworks,
sound archives, sound designs, audio books etc. All these examples
testify to a
vivid, exiting, and rapidly changing field or fields of sound studies.

     Having emerged from various traditional disciplines within the humanities
and social sciences (musicology, art history, media and cultural studies,
psychology, architecture, urban planning, and many more), sound studies has
been associated with inter- and trans-disciplinary approaches. Holding on to
such positions between, under, or above accepted pillars of knowledge remains
important. Future sound studies should maintain its place in an
inter-disciplinary transit zone, ? a central meeting place where the sonic
imaginations go to be challenged, nurtured, refreshed and transformed?
(Jonathan Sterne). This calls for a restless testing of the epistemological,
theoretical, methodological, and historical premises defining the field of
sound studies.

     The 2nd ESSA conference will address such developments and ideas of what a
future sound studies will or should be and how we are to understand them? What
kind of theoretical apparatus is needed to analyze and contextualize
disciplinary, artistic, political, and societal changes? And what kind of
methodological approaches do they call for?

We invite papers on the following topics (but not restricted to):

?        Case studies that testify to the recent changes within sound studies

?        Theoretical reflections on sound studies? futures

?        Methodological papers testing the inter- or trans-disciplinary
approaches of sound studies

?        Historical papers that may help understand and contextualize the
current developments

?        Demonstrations of changing relations between what is studied and how
it is studied

?        Papers addressing how the sound industries take part in the recent
developments

?     Sound design futures

?        Presentations of contemporary artworks that incorporate sounds

?    The current state of sound aesthetics

Individual papers and presentations

Please send an abstract of no more than 300 words by March 15, 2014 to the
organizers atESSA2014 at soundstudies.eu. Please indicate whether the abstract is
an academic paper or an artwork presentation.

Panels

Along with the open paper sessions, we strongly encourage proposals for themed
panels. A themed panel will consist of a minimum of 3 papers on a common
research question. If you propose a panel, you will be expected to help
promote
it, i.e. invite participants, and you will also be asked to participate in
reviewing contributed abstracts. Examples of panels could include:

-    Various methodological or theoretical takes on specific subjects (e.g.,
film sound, environmental sounds, sound art)

-    Discussions of perspectives drawn from central, scholarly work

-    Recent developments in sound art

-    Sound design

Please send suggestions for panels of no more than 300 words by
February 1, 2014
to the organizers:ESSA2014 at soundstudies.eu.

The conference will offer a number of different presentation formats.
Traditional academic papers (20+20 minutes), artwork presentations (20+20
minutes), and exhibitions.

Keynote speakers

Georgina Born (Oxford University, UK)

Norie Neumark (La Trobe University, Australia)

Carolyn Birdsall (Amsterdam University, Holland)

Important deadlines:

? Panels proposals, February 1, 2014

? Decisions regarding the panels will be made by February 15, 2014

? Abstracts for open paper presentations and for panel papers are due on March
15, 2014.

? Decisions regarding the review process of the open abstracts and panel
abstracts will be made by April 15, 2014.

Conference fee:

? Early bird registration for ESSA 2014 opens on April 15, 2014.

? Late bird registration opens on June 1, 2014

Conference fee: ?100 (early birds ?80)

Students (without grants) ?60 (early birds ?45)

ESSA 2014 will be a joint venture between The Nordic Research Network
for Sound
Studies (http://sdu.dk/norsound, sponsored by NordForsk 2012-2014) and ESSA
(http://www.soundstudies.eu/).

The organizing committee is: associate professor Morten Michelsen,
University of
Copenhagen, assistant professor Jacob Kreutzfeldt, University of
Copenhagen and
associate professor Erik Granly Jensen, University of Southern Denmark. For
questions regarding ESSA 2014 please write to the organizers
atESSA2014 at soundstudies.eu.