[SoundStudies] Mon 13 Oct, 4:30pm, WHC B04 - Carmel Raz on Neurophysiology and Romantic Music

Joseph Clarke joseph.clarke at yale.edu
Mon Oct 6 12:51:34 EDT 2014

Yale’s Sound Studies Colloquium continues this semester on select Monday afternoons. Please join us next Monday, 13 October, as we feature Carmel Raz, doctoral candidate in the Department of Music. We will meet in the Whitney Humanities Center, room B04 at 4:30pm. Raz is completing a dissertation on physiology, perception, and early Romantic auditory cultures at Yale University. She holds degrees in violin and in composition from the Hochschule für Musik in Berlin and the University of Chicago, respectively. We will discuss her paper (attached) on the following topic:

Hector Berlioz’s Neurophysiological Imagination
This paper locates Hector Berlioz’s thought within the orbit of early nineteenth-century French physiology. As the son of a well-known physician and himself an erstwhile medical student, Berlioz avidly followed many of the scientific debates of his day. I argue that we can understand the biological and neurophysiological discourses underlying the composer’s essays De la musique en général (1837) and Sur l'état actuel de l'art du chant (1853) as interrogating the transmission of musical affect. We can thus consider a number of Berlioz’s compositional innovations, ranging from spatializing the orchestra to its expansion to massive proportions, as steps toward an aesthetics of overpowering neurophysiological transcendence.

The Sound Studies Colloquium is a Whitney Humanities Center Working Group. All are welcome to join us for this session and for upcoming events on 3 November and 8 December. To subscribe to or unsubscribe from our email list, please visit http://mailman.yale.edu/mailman/listinfo/soundstudies or write to joseph.clarke at yale.edu.

Kind regards,
Joseph Clarke, Doctoral Candidate in Architecture