[SoundStudies] Next Science Studies Lunch – Musical Instruments!

Carmel Raz carmelraz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 14:19:01 EDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bill Rankin <william.rankin at yale.edu>
Date: Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 6:25 PM
Subject: Next Science Studies Lunch – Musical Instruments!
Cc: "Radin, Joanna" <joanna.radin at yale.edu>, Susan E Thompson <
susan.thompson at yale.edu>, William Nicholas Renouf <william.renouf at yale.edu>,
William Purvis <william.purvis at yale.edu>

Hello!

After our great conversation at the Peabody this week, I'm very excited to
announce that our next Science Studies Lunch will take place on Monday,
October 20th at the *Collection of Musical Instruments*.

We will get a tour from the curators—including demonstrations of some of
the instruments—and we'll have a lot of interesting topics to discuss. For
example, preserving historical *scientific *instruments means never using
them again, but preserving historical *musical *instruments involves a much
more active practice of performance and use. What are the boundaries
between different kinds of preservation and conservation?  Other possible
questions: How has the study of these instruments changed with new
technologies of imaging and material analysis?  How do they act as an
interdisciplinary meeting-place between the arts, sciences, and
humanities?

*Where:* The collection is located at 15 Hillhouse Ave.
<https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Yale+University+Collection+of+Musical+Instruments,+Hillhouse+Ave,+New+Haven,+CT&hl=en&ll=41.314063,-72.922869&spn=0.007639,0.013969&sll=41.312387,-72.923716&sspn=0.00382,0.006984&oq=yale+colle&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A>
*When:* Monday, October 20th, 12:00–1:30pm
*Who: *Everyone is welcome!  Bring your friends, bring your colleagues,bring
your students.
*Food? *Not in the collection.  But we can all head to Wall St. Pizza
afterwards—quick and yummy!

hope to see you soon,
Bill

=======
Bill Rankin
Assistant Professor, Yale University
Program in the History of Science and Medicine
http://hshm.yale.edu/rankin