[SoundStudies] TODAY! 4:30pm - Carmel Raz on Berlioz’s Neurophysiological Imagination - WHC B04

Joseph Clarke joseph.clarke at yale.edu
Mon Oct 13 10:06:13 EDT 2014

The Yale Sound Studies Working Group invites you to join us this afternoon as we feature Carmel Raz, who holds degrees in violin and in composition from the Hochschule für Musik in Berlin and the University of Chicago. At Yale, she is completing a dissertation on physiology, perception, and early Romantic auditory cultures. We will discuss her paper "Hector Berlioz’s Neurophysiological Imagination” (attached).

------

Yale Sound Studies Working Group Fall 2014 Schedule

October 13: Carmel Raz, Department of Music, Yale University
"Hector Berlioz’s Neurophysiological Imagination"

November 3: Julie Beth Napolin, Eugene Lang Liberal Arts College, The New School
"Minor Sound: Toward A Philosophy of Cadence in Faulkner, Benjamin, and Eisenstein"

December 8: Ron Kuivila, Music Department, Wesleyan University
"Big Dada: The Technics of Dissociation"

Meetings take place at 4:30pm in the Whitney Humanities Center, room B04. All are welcome to participate. To subscribe to or unsubscribe from our email list, please visit http://mailman.yale.edu/mailman/listinfo/soundstudies or write to joseph.clarke at yale.edu. The SSWG is organized by JD Connor, Brian Kane, Joseph Clarke, and Carmel Raz.

------

Hector Berlioz’s Neurophysiological Imagination
Carmel Raz

This paper locates Hector Berlioz’s thought within the orbit of early nineteenth-century French physiology. As the son of a well-known physician and himself an erstwhile medical student, Berlioz avidly followed many of the scientific debates of his day. I argue that we can understand the biological and neurophysiological discourses underlying the composer’s essays De la musique en général (1837) and Sur l'état actuel de l'art du chant (1853) as interrogating the transmission of musical affect. We can thus consider a number of Berlioz’s compositional innovations, ranging from spatializing the orchestra to its expansion to massive proportions, as steps toward an aesthetics of overpowering neurophysiological transcendence.